The reasons why fasting longer than 24 hours, and particularly three or more days, should only be done under the supervision of a health professional and preferably in a live-in clinic.
Get the preface for Dr. Greger’s brand-new book, How Not to Diet, by subscribing to his free newsletter at https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe.
Fasting for a week or two can actually interfere with the loss of body fat? If you missed it, check out my last video Is Fasting Beneficial for Weight Loss? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-fasting-beneficial-for-weight-loss) and for more background, Benefits of Fasting for Weight Loss Put to the Test (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/benefits-of-fasting-for-weight-loss-put-to-the-test).
What’s the best way to lose weight? I wrote a whole book about it! Pre-order How Not to Diet (https://nutritionfacts.org/how-not-to-diet/).
Next I turn my focus to intermittent fasting—stay tuned:
• Alternate-Day Intermittent Fasting Put to the Test (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Alternate-Day-Intermittent-Fasting-Put-to-the-Test)
• Is Alternate-Day Intermittent Fasting Safe? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-alternate-day-intermittent-fasting-safe)
• Does Intermittent Fasting Increase Human Life Expectancy? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/does-intermittent-fasting-increase-human-life-expectancy)
• The 5:2 Diet and the Fasting-Mimicking Diet Put to the Test (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-5-2-diet-and-the-fasting-mimicking-diet-put-to-the-test)
• Time-Restricted Eating Put to the Test (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/time-restricted-eating-put-to-the-test)
• The Benefits of Early Time-Restricted Eating (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-benefits-of-early-time-restricted-eating)
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-fasting-for-weight-loss-safe and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-fasting-for-weight-loss-safe. You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Captions for this video are available in several languages. To find yours, click on the settings wheel on the lower-right of the video and then “Subtitles/CC.”
Image credit: Jean Fortunet / wikimedia
• Subscribe: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate
• HOW NOT TO DIE: http://nutritionfacts.org/book
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: http://instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Podcast : http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/
Read more: youtube.com