Fasting for a week or two is like the keto diet—it can actually slow body fat loss rather that accelerating it.
Get the preface for Dr. Greger’s brand-new book, How Not to Diet, by subscribing to his free newsletter at https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe.
This is the follow-up to Benefits of Fasting for Weight Loss Put to the Test (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/benefits-of-fasting-for-weight-loss-put-to-the-test). It seems fasting only works long-term if it can act as a jumpstart to a healthier diet, and just doing it for a week or two can be counterproductive like the keto diet. And is it even safe to fast longer than that? Coming up next: Is Fasting for Weight Loss Safe? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Is-Fasting-for-Weight-Loss-Safe).
Here’s the keto story:
• Keto Diet Theory Put to the Test (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/keto-diet-theory-put-to-the-test)
• Keto Diet Results for Weight Loss (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/keto-diet-results-for-weight-loss)
• Is Weight Loss on Ketosis Sustainable? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-weight-loss-on-ketosis-sustainable)
• Are Keto Diets Safe? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-keto-diets-safe)
• Keto Diets: Muscle Growth and Bone Density (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/keto-diets-muscle-growth-and-bone-density)
I just gave the 3rd live webinar on fasting: Fasting and Cancer. Those videos will be up for free in the next year or so, but if you want to see them sooner, all three of my fasting webinars are now available for download here (https://drgreger.org/collections/downloads?utm_source=docnote&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=digital_dl_fasting).
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-fasting-beneficial-for-weight-loss and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-fasting-beneficial-for-weight-loss. You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgments for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Captions for this video are available in several languages. To find yours, click on the settings wheel on the lower-right of the video and then “Subtitles/CC.”
Image credit: Laurent Valentin / pixabay
• Subscribe: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate
• HOW NOT TO DIE: http://nutritionfacts.org/book
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: http://instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Podcast : http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/
Read more: youtube.com